Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.

my cats outer ear is swollen to about an inch thick,what h

Customer Question

my cats outer ear is swollen to about an inch thick,what happened?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 2 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to assist you and Chubby ?

Customer:

thank you

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sorry for the question mark -- that should be a period.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is this swelling in the flap of the ear?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and does it feel like there is fluid inside ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And look a bit like a balloon or bubble?

Customer:

hello

Customer:
Customer:

sorry it froze

Customer:

its the part that stands up,he wont let me touch it and its like a balloon

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That is ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is this in the flap of the ear -- and is it like a balloon? possibly filled with fluid?

Customer:

yes,the whole outer ear

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The description could be a couple of things -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

1) Aural hematoma -- which is a blood or serum filled pocket usually caused by scratching or rubbing the ear. It is usually associated with an ear infection.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Occasionally -- the ear infection is not noted before this occurs.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

2) abcess --which is a pocket of infection --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Due to a scratch, bite or open injury to the area.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

In this area of the body, a hematoma would be the most likely cause.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

For treatment, there are two ways this can be handled.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

One would be surgery to simply empty the fluid with a needle -- and hope that it does not refill./

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The other is to do a surgical repair the ear -- which prevents recurrances.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The ear would also need to be treated for any infection

Customer:

how soon do i need to take him to the vet?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is usually handled with in a day or so --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The pocket of fluid is due to damage to the ear flap that seperates the two layers of the ear flap.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The longer it stays this way -- the more difficult it is to repair.

Customer:

will he be ok util the morning? it's 10pm and his vet is closed

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Yes -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Do try to prevent further damage if at all possible -

Customer:

ok,will do

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is there anything else I might be able to assist you with tonight?

Customer:

no,just worried about him and the bill

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand -=-

Customer:

how much do you think it will cost?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If this needs surgery -- the bill could be in the range of 150 - 250 . This is a rough estimate -- as it does depend on your area.

Customer:

ok,thank you

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope all goes well

Customer:
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.