Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 25 years.
60411192

My 15 year old female cat has trouble moving her bowels. Her

Customer Question

My 15 year old female cat has trouble moving her bowels. Her poop gets stuck and she walks around with it half in, half out. Her stools have always looked dry compared to our other cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

vetdeb :

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

vetdeb :

Constipation is a fairly common problem as cats age but it's important to rule any underlying disease process such as kidney disease and dehydration.

vetdeb :

Has Kitkat had any recent blood work done?

Customer :
vetdeb :

Older cats lose anal muscle tone which makes it more difficult for them to defecate, they can also develop a little arthritis so it is more uncomfortable for them to "assume the position" so to speak for long periods of time.

vetdeb :

Increasing her water intake is important and one way to do this is to feed her wet/canned food, if you're not already. Using daily laxatives, such as laxatone, laxaire (there are many different options available from either your veterinarian or the pet store) can often soften the stool enough so that it comes out easier.

vetdeb :

And, if those options don't work, you can give her a little Miralax (the same product we take) mixed in with her wet food.

vetdeb :

If she is a long-haired cat and grooms herself a lot, hair can cause the stools to be really firm so that brushing her every day can help reduce the amount that she ingests. The laxative I mentioned work really well for this problem too. Even if she is starting to have some trouble with her kidneys, these options are reasonable. I would just want to know if this is the primary underlying cause.

vetdeb :

I'm not sure if you're online or not but I hope this has been helpful and answers your question. If you would like to chat about it more, please let me know.

vetdeb :

This website may also offer some additional insights into this problem although it discusses the problem in dogs as well as cats:

vetdeb :

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634

Customer :

What you suggest is what I was looking for. She is a short hair and does not cough up hair balls, so she often has hair in her stool. She has always had dry stools.

vetdeb :

I would definitely have some blood work done.

vetdeb :

...just in case but mostly because of her age.

Customer :
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.