Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

Our cat has not had a bowel movement for about 3 days. I am

Our cat has not had a bowel movement for about 3 days. I am not sure she is eating. She drinks water and urinates. Still plays.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron

Dr Aaron :

are any of your other cats acting abnormally?

Customer:
Dr Aaron :

i wasn't able to see what you just typed

Customer:

The other cats are fine.

Dr Aaron :

good.

Dr Aaron :

has she been constipated in the past?

Dr Aaron :

is she trying to have a bowel movement but unable?

Customer:

She hasn't been constipated before and I have not noticed if she has tried to have one.

Dr Aaron :

is she otherwise acting normally?

Customer:

Yes, with the exception of being more affectionate. She never sat in our laps before.

Dr Aaron :

does she tend to use a different litter box than your other cats (how are you sure she isn't having a bowel movement)?

Customer:

She also has been chewing on her tail for almost a year. The vet said it was behavioral and gave her a shot. It only had an effect for three days. Since we moved here 6 years ago, she stopped using a litter box and uses pads.

Dr Aaron :

I see...so she doesn't use litter boxes ever?

Customer:

No.

Dr Aaron :

I see...well that makes sense as far as how you are sure he isn't having a bowel movement.

Dr Aaron :

Is she fed separately from the other cats?

Customer:

What can I give her for constipation?

Customer:
Dr Aaron :

I would recommend two things: try to get her to drink as much as possible. If she isn't into drinking much water, add chicken broth or tuna water to her water bowl.

Dr Aaron :

This can help soften her stool.

Dr Aaron :

Another is to add Miralax twice daily. This is a human over the counter medication that can be purchased at any store with a pharmacy (near the pepto-bismol)

Dr Aaron :

I would recommend giving her 1/4 - 1/2 tsp twice daily as long as needed (some cats are on this for life...and that's ok)

Dr Aaron :

If she'll eat canned food...that would be a good idea.

Dr Aaron :

If she hasn't had a bowel movement by tomorrow I would recommend taking her to your local vet for a thorough physical exam and possibly some abdominal x-rays.

Customer:

Her bowl is separate from the others, but they do eat after she has eaten. She is drinking water. She does not like ANY table food and only eats dry food. I will give the Miralax a try. She is very picky. Is she affectionate because she is uncomfortable?

Dr Aaron :

sometimes (often)...constipated cats require a brief period of anesthesia and an enema to get things moving.

Dr Aaron :

It is a possibility that her behavior has changed because she is uncomfortable.

Dr Aaron :

If she doesn't eat by tomorrow I would also recommend taking her into your local vet...cats that go days without eating can quickly develop fatty liver disease...this can be a horrible disease and difficult to treat.

Dr Aaron :

Is there anything else I can help you with this evening?

Dr Aaron :

If not, please click on the GREEN accept button. Thank you and have a good night!

Customer:

Can I try the Miralax this evening. I will go and pick up the Miralax in a few minutes and see how it goes.

Customer:
Dr Aaron :

definitely.

Dr Aaron :

don't expect immediately results..it is a stool softener...it won't cause explosive diarrhea.

Customer:

Thank you. I will see if the Vet can see her Wed.

Customer: