Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.

My cat has probably ate something bad. He hasnt felt well

My cat has probably ate something bad. He hasn't felt well for two days but is eating and drinking. However, since his set back his pupils are dilated huge. What could be the reason.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt -I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is Willie vomiting or having any diarrhea?

Does he seem uncomfortable in his belly if you squeeze it?

Is he having any trouble breathing?

Does he go outside?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vomiting but "globby" stool. He actually likes for us to rub his tummy. No trouble actually breathing but his respirations have increased some I think. He's an outside cat.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Sorry to hear that Willie is not feeling well. Based on what you are describing, a toxin from a plant or chemical outside could cause his symptoms. Other reasons that his pupils could be dilated are high blood pressure (hypertension), kidney disease, an eye disorder itself such as retinal detachment, uveitis, or an infection in both eyes. A neurologic disease such as head trauma or and infection, such as toxoplasmosis, could also cause the pupils to become dilated.

I am glad to hear that Willie is drinking and eating. Since there are so many different toxins and disorders that can cause dilated pupils and overall not feeling well the best way to get a more exact diagnosis would be to take him to your vet to have an exam and possible some bloodwork to make sure his kidney and liver function tests are normal. Many toxins that cause dilated pupils can also cause some damage to these organs therefore this is a way that you could rule out a toxin.

I would watch his vision very closely because disorders such as high blood pressure and the eye diseases can potentially cause loss of vision for him. A vet could give him medications to help with high blood pressure or a disease such as toxoplasmosis to reverse any potential long term vision changes.

Overall I would consider having your vet examine him if this is possible otherwise watch him very closely for any vision changes or lethargy.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has also recently ate a bird. Does this give you any other thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
A bird is natural for cats to eat and most of the time they can digest these fairly well, though sometimes they can have an upset stomach from this. The dilated pupils would be less likely caused from eating a bird unless he was vomiting excessively. Therefore I would be concerned that something else he may have ingested or one of the other possibilities would be more likely. Eating the bird could have caused his stools to be abnormal though.