Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

To my knowledge, my cat has not pooped in a few days. She

To my knowledge, my cat has not pooped in a few days. She has a healthy appetite and drinks lots of water. She does not appear to be in distress and acts normal in every other way. Her name is XXXXX XXXXX she is 17 years old.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Try giving her a little cow's milk. Cats are lactose intolerant so sometimes the milk will loosen things up.

You can also try mixing a spoonful of mineral oil with her food.

I would buy some plain metamucil. Mix a teaspoon of the metamucil with the favorite food once a day. That way she will eat and get her fiber.

There is also an over the counter product for hairballs called "laxatone." It does help prevent, and resolve, hairballs but it can also help with constipation. Try 1 inch strip on the paw, so they will lick it off, every other day or once a day.

If your cat will eat it, you can also try canned plain pumpkin. It is high in fiber. Give a teaspoon of that once a day with food.

You can purchase a stool softener at the drug store called "docusate sodium." You can give 50 mg by mouth per day as needed.

I do not recommend trying to do an enema yourself at home. It can be dangerous for your cat and you will probably end up bleeding.

If these remedies do not work, there is a veterinary prescription medication called "lactulose." This is a liquid that is given 2-3 times a day by mouth for constipation. It is quite effective.

Your vet can also prescribe medication that helps the intestine motility. "Cisapride is a common one." This helps move fecal material through. Sometimes this medication goes on and off the market. You may have to get it from a compounding pharmacy.

Another approach is to increase water intake. This can be done with clam juice and low sodium chicken broth. If your cat will drink it, you can add a little water to both to further increase water intake. You can also change from feeding dry food to canned food. Canned food has a higher moisture content. You can also add water to the dry food. If your cat has a severe problem, your vet can teach you how to give fluids under the skin for rehydration therapy. If dehydration, and constipation, are a chronic problem it is recommended that you have blood work run on your cat to make sure there is not an underlying metabolic disease that is causing the dehydation. link to more on feline constipation

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for all of the valuable suggestions. She drinks a LOT of water right now, so I don't think that is the issue. How long can she go without pooping before it becomes dangerous? At what point should I rush her to the vet?

I think she will go if you try these suggestions. She can go up to 5 days with out going. If she stops eating, or starts vomiting, or keeps straining to go and nothing is coming out then she needs to go to the vet. As far as rushing her to the vet, that would only be necessary if she becomes very lethargic and non-responsive or her gums turn pale or white.