Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

Is Haws contagious. I have 6 feral cats that are quite wild

Is Haws contagious. I have 6 feral cats that are quite wild and not easy to give meds to or catch. I don't want the one that is sick to give it to the others. Is the sicj cat likely to survive if I can't get her to a vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the cat's condition.
Haw's Syndrome is a symptom in cats that indicates a space-occupying mass under the third eyelid that pushes it forward, retraction of the eyeball into the bony orbit of the skull (enophthalmia), damage to the sympathetic nerves of the eye, or eye pain of any kind.
The potential causes of this symptom (Haw's Syndrome) and can range from cancer, glaucoma, uveitis (inflammation of the internal structures of the eye), ocular foreign bodies, abscesses, trauma, orbital fat atrophy (shrinkage), shrunken eyeball secondary to disease or trauma, and even a congenitally small eyeball.
This is not an exhaustive list of all possible causes, but as you can see, the number is XXXXX Unless we know what caused the Haw's Syndrome to appear, we can't say whether or not it might be contagious. The odds, however are in favor of its not being contagious, as most of the potential causes are not.
Proper diagnosis of the condition would require an extensive examination and testing, and even that may not prove conclusively what caused the Haw's Syndrome to manifest.
In summary, this is not likely to be a sign of a contagious condition, and in the circumstances you've described, a definitive diagnosis is probably not possible. her survival would, of course depend on the underlying condition not being one with a fatal outcome. At this point we really can't say.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice,