Hello,My cat got hospitalize with a bronco-pneumonia where he got administered amongst other medication antibiotics injections for the last 5 days. No again at home the vet prescribed MARBOCYL as well as BIBRAMYCIN for another 8 days. Why 2 antibiotics?Other medicines prescibed are:-Lysine-Immuplex B-Bisolvon-Danzen-Aminophyline-Terraycine eye ointmentand for his glaucoma-Maxitro eye drops-Cosopt eye dropsWe are a bit worried that too many medicines might be too much. Would you have some suggestions?Thanks and best regardsIvan Mueller
Type of Animal: Cat
Name of Cat: Punto
The cat started to sneeze and cough and he got prescribed Vibramicine antibiotics as well as Danzen anti-inflammatory for 7 days but after 5 days he got worse and we took him to the pet hospital where he stayed for 5 days. X-rays reviled that the bronchial airways got inflamed but the lung as such were not yet infected. The lungs are ok now and he rarely sneezes anymore but still has a bit of nasal discharge. Now back home with all these medicines we are a bit overwhelmed.
Hi Ivan - Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!
Was a lung wash or lung culture performed or was the diagnosis made only based on chest x-rays?
it was based on x-ray, and symptoms
The reason for the 2 antibiotics is trying to be as broad spectrum as possible without a true culture to identify the exact bacteria present.
It is actually common to do this in many cases.
ok, that is a useful info as I was a bit confused about that
Yes - the reason is...
We do not want to say it must only be gram negative for example...
and not treat gram positive...
And there is rarely 1 perfect antibiotic to cover EVERYTHING!
So - we try to use 2 (rarely 3) to cover the largest group of the most likely bacteria.
(for that body system)
In that case I uses we should just continue for the 8 day course
I would continue for the complete course prescribed by your veterinarian.
There is a certain amount of possibility that there might have been some misunderstanding between me an ma vet because of the Thai-English language barrier. Generally the health sector is very good here and your info would certainly confirm that
I am glad to have clarified / helped.
Is there any other information I can help you with for Punto?
do you think then that the additional medications prescribed have their reason as well and we should just finish their courses? It just looks so much for such a small stomach of a cat...
Yes - while I understand the concern about multiple medications, best to continue their course if prescribed by your veterinarian.
With all this medication it is a bit difficult to recognize any possible side effect and especially to identify which is causing what. But maybe I am worrying too much
I do understand your concerns.
But it sounds like he has a complicated medical history - illness that we need to treat.
well he was very lucky in his 13 year life traveling around the world. Maybe it's time for him (and us :-) ) to settle somwhere
Many would envy a traveler :)
yes indeed. He is the best traveller and I guess his experiences are great. We will do the best for him to make the rest of his life as good as possible. Your advice is most appreciated and I am confident Punto will be OK soon.Just a last concern. Do you think he will be able to travel in 3 weeks time from or should we wait longer (flight from Banggok to Italy)?
great question - and I am hesitant to answer with any certainty.
It is going to be response to therapy.
That is hard to predict.
Of course we know that travel is stressful for cats, but let's say if he recovers well within the next 1-2 weeks it should be feasible I guess
Yes - then it would!
Well, I am happy with the information I received. I thank you very much. Kind regards
You are very welcome!
If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask! Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time. Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones. Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information. With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Emergency and Critical Care Specialist