Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What kind of surgery is there for cats who spray and have already

What kind of surgery is there for cats who spray and have already been neutered?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Surgery. None.

Dr. Andy :

This is a question of trying to modify behavior.

Dr. Andy :

I am going to provide all my typical info about inappropriate urination in cats. Spraying is a bit different, however, there are several recommendations you may find useful:

Dr. Andy :

Options for treating inappropriate urination, assuming not due to systemic (internal) problems including infection:

Dr. Andy :

- All areas where your pet is urinating must be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner.

Dr. Andy :

Examples include:

Dr. Andy :

-You can apply double-sided tape to reduce your cat’s wanting to urinate in the area or place furniture in the way.

Dr. Andy :

Mistermax

Dr. Andy :

Urineoff

Dr. Andy :

-You can try to attract your cat more to the litter box by spraying feline pheromone in the litter box:

Dr. Andy :

Feliway Spray

Dr. Andy :

or

Dr. Andy :

-Sometimes, using a different type of litter can help. (Scented vs. unscented) (Clumping vs. non-clumping)

Dr. Andy :

-Always make sure there are more litter boxes. For one cat, there should be at least 2 litter boxes. If multiple cats, they each should have a litter box plus one extra.

Dr. Andy :

-Older cats can have a harder time with litter boxes that have a top on them or high sides. That is important to also keep in mind.

Dr. Andy :

-Other deterrents can include placing aluminum foil in the area of inappropriate urination.

Dr. Andy :

-Lastly, work with your veterinarian. There are medications that can also be of benefit:

Dr. Andy :

Pay close attention to the two medications mentioned above. These are possible alternatives to discuss a trial with your vet that can help.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Andy :

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

Dr. Andy :

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed. This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

Dr. Andy :

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

Dr. Andy :

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer: ipossibles know of all behavioral approaches but a vet has scheduled surgery of some sort with my husband...what might this be? Cat is already neutered.
Dr. Andy :

Well, possibly a PU:

Dr. Andy :

Although, I have a hard time believing a surgery like that would be done for just spraying before trying medication.

Customer: whatone hat is that? I am a neurologist...I can understand medical terms...
Dr. Andy :

It is essentially redirected urine by creating a new hole within the urethra.

Dr. Andy :

It is a bit invasive, but its the only surgery I could think of to try and curb spraying.

Dr. Andy :

I personally don't know any vet that would do surgery for a spraying cat before trying behavior modification or medical management with drugs first.

Dr. Andy :

As a personal opinion.

Dr. Andy :

To add:

Customer: The cat is spraying...I think stressed out with remodeling etc at home...but my husband is freaking out over spraying...would redirecting urine work for this?
Dr. Andy :

I thought you might enjoy this article:

Dr. Andy :

I really think surgery is a bad idea.

Dr. Andy :

You will see references to some of the products and medications I have recommended towards the end.

Dr. Andy :

About the best answer I can give.

Customer: Ok, I agree surgery seems drastic...I have it on hold. Thanks for the article.
Dr. Andy :

you bet. Good Luck. It will take some time, but with some adjustments and maybe medication, that should help.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept” before just exiting chat. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :