Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My cat is making some very weird meowing sounds (sort of like

My cat is making some very weird meowing sounds (sort of like he is in heat). He is fixed and he is about 6 years old. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. Once he started making these sounds, I did feel around to see if he was injured and could not find anything. When I do press around his stomach area, he does seem to dislike that. I also noticed that he seems to be liking himself "down there" and I noticed that he did protrude a bit. Is there anything that I need to be concerned about?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Have you seen him attempt to urinate multiple times?

Try pressing on his abdomen again. This time, press into both sides at the same time. Is he painful or uncomfortable, or do you feel a large, firm, water balloon type mass? It could be anywhere from baseball to softball size.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I press on both sides, he does seem to e uncofortable. I'm not sure if I would say painful because he does not swipe at me, but he will make some growling sounds that tells me he is not happy. I have not noticed him urinating at all today, but I have also not been paying attention to that as this is very unlike him and recently started.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Did you feel any baseball to softball sized, firm, water balloon type mass? Try pressing in with both hands and sliding them from the rear limbs to the ribs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do believe that I am feeling what you are talking about. A firm type of mass.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. From your initial description, I was suspecting a urinary blockage in the urethra. If you are feeling what I am describing, then that is most likely what it is. It is a very common issue in male cats and usually occurs due to a mucus plug or bladder stone. It is progressively painful and leads to urine back up in the kidneys, kidney failure, toxin buildup in the bloodstream, neurologic complications and heart failure. All of this can occur in as little as a day and a half. It is a serious issue. My advice at this point would be to get him to your nearest emergency vet for an evaluation. If this is a urinary blockage, you want it taken care of ASAP before complications occur. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.