Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -11 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

my 11 year old cats tongue is sticking out of his mouth and

my 11 year old cat's tongue is sticking out of his mouth and he drools a lot of stringy mucus. He has not lost his appetite and he drinks lots of water but has been getting super skinny. I took him to the vet and the vet advised to give him antibiotics for 10 days and see how he does. Its a week now and nothing really seems better. What can be the problem?
Please give me your advice!
Lesley
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Did your vet perform a thorough exam in his mouth?

Did your vet check any bloodwork on him?

What antibiotic did you give him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the vet did look all in his mouth and she said that it didnt look like there was any sores or any teeth that could be absessed however no blood work was done because at the time I did not have the money to get it done and of course she wouldnt let me set up a payment plan even though it has been my vet for 11 years. She gave him a shot of an antibiotic there and gave me (Vedco) Clinda Cure antibiotic to give him twice a day for 10 days to see if anything clears up. My cat does not have or ever had loss of appetite and he drinks lots of water but he drools alot and he is very much skinnier. He even meows (talks like he always did) and still wants to go outside but I dont let him out. He has been like this for almost 3 weeks now and a week on antibiotic. Oh and his left eye is squinty so that is what i thought from the beginning that it was a tooth or a sore on that side makin his eye squinty and have discharge. I dont know if I should just get him put to sleep or if he can have a chance and get healthy again. He doesnt seem like he is in any pain which is good and the vet didnt think he was in pain either but the tongue sticking out, drooling, and getting skinny are a very big concern.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Sorry to hear that he is not improving on the antibiotic at this time. I am glad to hear that your vet got a very good look at his teeth and his oral cavity to rule out a lot of the more common problems that could cause drooling like this. Here is my general list of problems that can cause his symptoms:

Oral discomfort

- An abscessed tooth
- A mass in the mouth or on the tongue
- A broken tooth
- A Viral infection that can also cause discharge from hie eyes

Stomach/Abdominal discomfort

- Inflammatory Bowel disease
- Kidney disease
- An ulcer in the stomach
- Pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas
- Gall bladder or liver disease

Even though your vet performed a very good exam on his mouth we cannot rule everything out in the mouth as some cats will have root defects on their teeth that are hard to see without sedation or anesthesia to get a better look. X-rays of the teeth are unfortunately the only true way to completely rule out all problems in the jaw though this can get more expensive to have all of the these tests performed.

As you can see the reason for drooling may not come from the mouth area always. Some cats can develop problems in the abdomen or stomach also. This is also possible for him at this point. For stomach discomfort you can try to give him some pepcid AC which is an over the counter medication. His dose would be about 2.5 mg every 24 hours.

I am glad that you want to have some blood work performed on him as this is most likely the next best test to find out why his is losing weight. He could have a disease such as hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, diabetes, or inflammatory bowel disease that could cause these problems.

Sorry to hear that your vet will not work out a payment plan with you as getting the blood work is an important next step. At this time if he is eating well and not vomiting then I do not think that you need to put him to sleep. I would definitely do what you can to keep him comfortable and eating. In time if you are able to have the blood work checked we can rule out more potential problems that could be causing this. Since he is not in any pain right now I would definitely continue to monitor him. It is hard to say his long term prognosis without knowing the cause of his symptoms.

Overall like I said for now as long as he is eating and not in pain I do not think you need to make any quick decisions at this time. Whenever possible to get him back to the vet I would have the blood work checked to help more.

Hope this helps - please reply if you have any other questions.
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM -11 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.