Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is shaking uncontrollably and acting very strange. Had

My cat is shaking uncontrollably and acting very strange. Had liquid flee med on neck Monday; the med was for a large dog and I used maybe 1/3 of it on this cat in particular...please help...I don't have money for a vet and love this cat very much
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.

The dog flea/ tick meds are toxic in cats, they don't handle Pyrethrins like dogs do. The tremors are due to that "pyrethrin toxicity."

You really do need to get her seen. There are meds that we use, muscle relaxants, to resolve the tremors and then we put then on IV fluids and sometimes give Intralipids (fat through the IV) to get the toxin out of their body faster.

The only thing you can do at home is wash the medication off of her. You can use a Dawn Dish Soap to cut into the oil and remove as much of the medication as possible. This will prevent further exposure, and then the muscle relaxants will stop the tremors.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've washed her....she's still shaking really bad...I put this medication on Monday and today is Wednesday....I Can not take her in!!! What are her chances of recovery?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
You should wash her again- make sure it's with dish soap.

Other than that, there is nothing you can give at home. We use a muscle relaxant called Methocarbamol. That is the only thing that stops the tremors- that and giving it time and flushing them out with fluids.

We can see tremors anywhere from minutes to 2-3 days after applying the meds. They can last anywhere from 12-72 hours.

I would get a digital thermometer and check her rectal temperature. Make sure it's staying under 104. If it's getting higher than that, then you should use a fan or warm water to cool her down. Normal is 100-102. Once we get over the 105 range, we can get brain damage from the heat.