Dr.Kitty
Dr.Kitty, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced clinical medicine for over 10 years, with a special interest in feline medicine.
60849501

My cat is loosing weight and keeps throwing up everyday I noticed

My cat is loosing weight and keeps throwing up everyday I noticed that he also has a soft stool on the litter box.

Dr.Kitty :

Hi- sorry to hear your kitty is vomiting and losing weight, now diarrhea. Is he eating okay?

Customer:

he eats but he doesn't keep it in

Dr.Kitty :

Poor kitty. How long has this been going on? Any food changes when this started?

Customer:

I noticed it for the past two weeks. No I have not changed his food. I also noticed that he has ben drinking alot of water so Im concern that he might be having kidney problems I had a cat that died of old age and the sympomst look the same

Dr.Kitty :

Kidney problems are possible. At his age I think about an overactive thyroid, too. These kitties are usually eating more, drinking more and losing weight. Sometimes vomiting and having diarrhea.

Dr.Kitty :

It is a very manageable condition, and a possibility.

Customer:

how can i help my poor cat?

Dr.Kitty :

Given what you are describing and Cairo's age, my first suggestion would be to have a blood panel (including a thyroid level) and urinalysis performed. It will evaluate his kidneys and thyroid, and is a starting point.

Customer:

so is there I cna give him before I can take him to the veterinary

Dr.Kitty :

Also, his veterinarian can feel his abdomen for any changes which may indicate something else (like a mass).

Customer:

is there something that I can give him until I make it to the veterinary

Dr.Kitty :

Well, without knowing what is going on it's tough to answer. If it's his thyoid, nothing you do at home will help.

Dr.Kitty :

For other causes, it depends. For kidney disease there are special diets, but not what I would recommend if his primary problem is something like inflammation of his gut - for that, you would want to feed him bland food.

Customer:

o.k. thank you.

Dr.Kitty :

One safe medication is pepcid = famotidine. Cat dose is usually 2.5 mgs orally .one to 2 times daily.

Customer:

I will make an appointment with his vet.

Dr.Kitty :

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with Cairo.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr.Kitty :

You're welcome.