PetDoctor2005
PetDoctor2005, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years
65926376

My cat occasionally poops on my bed and I dont know why. I

Customer Question

My cat occasionally poops on my bed and I don't know why. I keep his litter scooped out and change it every couple weeks. I work 8 hours a day and almost always come home to him and don't go out very often. Any ideas?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PetDoctor2005 replied 2 years ago.

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi there! I am a licensed veterinarian with some extra time on my hands and I would be happy to help!

PetDoctor2005 :

Pooping outside of the litterbox, especially if the poop looks normal (ie no diarrhea/blood), always is a behavioral problem....

PetDoctor2005 :

This does make it more difficult to control..you ARE doing the right thing in keeping him from the bedroom when this becomes an issue...

PetDoctor2005 :

Do you keep the litterbox VERY clean? Sometimes a littlebox that even has a few things in it will keep a cat from wanting to use it!

Customer:

Should I just keep him from the bedroom all the time when I am not home?

Customer:

Yes, I keep it very clean!

PetDoctor2005 :

IF it IS only the bedroom...Then it may be that he is trying to "mark" his territory..... IS this the only place he goes? outside of the litterbox?

Customer:

I have had him for 1 year and 2 months (got him from a cat rescue) and in that time he has always done it on my bed, on the side I sleep on (I sleep alone) and he sleeps with me. He did go on another bed in the house in another room. I had a house guest here for about a month (a male relative of a friend) and Indy pooped on the bed the day he left!

Customer:

I'll bet you are laughing right now.

PetDoctor2005 :

Well, He sure did tell you what he thought, huh? :)

Customer:

Yeah, I think so.

Customer:

I just don't know why he does it so infrequently.

Customer:

Or sporadic.

PetDoctor2005 :

If he is the only cat in the household, then If keeping him from the bedroom works, I would stick with that....if that is hard to do...then sometimes keeping a litterbox IN the bedroom and then slowly moving it towards the room you eventually WANT it in...is probably the only solution

PetDoctor2005 :

Slowly moving it....means moving it a few feet every day or two until it gets to the location he is used to....

Customer:

He is the only cat in the house. I forgot to tell you that when I first got him he would poop on the couch. My friend said to get a second litterbox which I did then he stopped doing it. He has done it only once on the couch about a couple months ago. Otherwise it's on my bed.

Customer:

I have the other box in the bathroom and he doesn't use that one as much as he uses the one downstairs. I could put the one in the bathroom in my room and slowly move it to the bathroom, maybe??

PetDoctor2005 :

Yep, sounds like a good idea....Especially if your bedroom and where the current litterbox is, is on a different level of the house...Sometimes cats just don't want to go down/up a level to do their business....This doesn't mean it has to be this way at all times, but for a few months until things seem better...i would add the other litterbox

Customer:

So you are saying that I should move the bathromm box into my bedroom and then slowly move it back to the bathroom?? Just want to know if we are on the same page.

PetDoctor2005 :

Yep, i would keep it in the bedroom for a few weeks....gross, I know, but then slowly move it to a more "ideal" location....over a few weeks....If you don't mind it in the bathroom, then that is a nice...close...place (compared to the bedroom)...that he should slowly get used to the bathroom as being his "alternative" place to do his business!

Customer:

That is where his second box is now that he uses occasionally. And it is where I had his first box located. I eventually put a second one downstairs and that is the one he uses 99% of the time.

PetDoctor2005 :

I think he uses the one downstairs MOST of the time...it seems...but every once in awhile, when upstairs, he has the desire to use the bed...SO I would move the box to the bedroom for a few weeks....see how he does....and if he uses it occasionally, I would move it SLOWLY to the bathroom to get him used to using that one again...does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does. And I will try that. Just one last question on this topic. Do you think he does it because he's mad that I have left him, or do you think he is marking his territory?

PetDoctor2005 :

More likely "marking" or just a convenience factor...cats don't tend to take Revenge because they are upset...just not in their nature....

Customer:

That's funny.

PetDoctor2005 :

They just don't tend to be "mad" at their owners behavior...more likely a "well, I guess I'll just go here now, since that is more convenient for me" ")

Customer:

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and hope you have a great Sunday Julie. It is Julie isn't it?

Customer:

It just seemed like he was taking revenge because he went on the side I sleep on, EVERY time.

PetDoctor2005 :

Yep! Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great weekend! .....Well...It may just be that he likes that side, cause it is associated with his favorite person...you!

Customer:

Thanks again Julie. Nice chatting with you. Good night.

PetDoctor2005 :

Enjoy your evening....mine is about at an end!

Customer:

Bye!

PetDoctor2005, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Julie,

Thank you again for your time and input. I relocated the litter box I have upstairs from the bathroom to my bedroom shortly after I messaged back and forth with you. I must say I was pleasantly surprised! Indy took to pooping in the box and NOT on my bed. He hasn't gone once on the bed. And since I clean it out daily, it doesn't smell. I am going to continue to leave it in there and not relocate it back to the bathroom.

Have a great summer!

Linda Kloczkowski

4/15/12

Thanks for updating me! I'm glad it all worked out for you!
Enjoy your summer as well!
Dr. Julie