Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat is losing hair around its tail and hind legs. what

My cat is losing hair around its tail and hind legs. what can I do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Does he seem itchy or scabby in the area of the hair loss?
Does he go outside or live with other animals (like dogs) who go outside?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is some light scabbing. The cat does go outside during the day.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

This is a classic pattern of hair loss for flea bites. If he is an outdoor cat he is at high risk for getting fleas from animals and the environment outside. The tricky thing is you don't even have to see the fleas. Some cats (and dogs) are allergic to the flea saliva which means they can be bitten once and you will still get all the hair loss and scabbing! If there are still fleas products like revolution and Frontline can get rid of them with 3 months of continued use. The allergy will likely need a trip to the vet to take care of the allergy with a mild steroid and assess if there are any secondary skin infections to take care of too.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help Dr. Dan. I saw no evidence of fleas anywhere and I feel kind of silly for not dianosing something so simple. I'll go out and get the items from Frontline tomorrow. Thanks again and have a good night.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you. Don't feel silly, unless you've studied it you wouldn't know a single bite could cause that much of a problem!
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.