Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My cat has started lying down in her kitty litter box. Is this

My cat has started lying down in her kitty litter box. Is this something to be concerned about?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Is Fergie acting normal otherwise--urinating and defecating ok, eating and drinking normal, playing and active? Or is she lethargic and not feeling well? How long has she been doing this litter box thing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fergie seems a little more lethargic than normal, but she isn't overly active. She does and has episodes every day of wheezing and then throwing up some. Sometimes it will be what she has eaten, othertimes just a watery, yellow liquid. This has gone on since she was a kitten.
You don't need to ACCEPT again, since you already did and I didn't get a chance to answer your question!

Since she is lethargic and having GI issues, I suspect she is lying in the litter box either because she is more comfortable there or it is a comforting place or ?? I don't think it has to do with the floral smell, unless that is comforting to her.

I think you need to get to the bottom of the vomiting and wheezing. The wheezing could be due to feline asthma (and the litter can sometimes be part of the problem). The vomiting could be due to intestinal worms or, more likely, a food sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, or chronic pancreatitis.

Fergie lying in her litter box may be her "call for help" to get you noticing that she isn't feeling good. A lot of cats will hide when they don't feel well and Fergie may just be hiding in the litter box.

I recommend taking her in to your regular vet for a full exam and probable blood work and/or x-rays.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
You're welcome. Let me know what you find out!