Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

I noticed my cat started to seem confused and wasnt looking

I noticed my cat started to seem confused and wasn't looking quite right in his eyes. Then about an hour later now he is wining if he is moved. He won't get up now. What could be wrong and what should I do? I noticed if I pushed on the center of his body is when he seems to be unhappy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry Sherlock is unwell, can I ask you some more questions.

1. Is he eating/drinking ok?
2. Has he been sick or had diarrhoea?
3. Is he vaccinated?
4. Does he go outside?
5. Does he get into fights with other cats?
6. What is 'funny' about his eyes?
7. Is he walking normally?

Thanks

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, he ate ok, doesn't seem to want to eat, is vaccinated, doesnt go outside, only inside, no other cats around, and is not really walking much now. Since I first asked the question, he had a moment where he finally got up, so his legs are working fine...
After he ate a little, then he started to randomly retrieve and walk backward. He did this a couple times like something was bothering him. My boyfriend mentioned that the cleaning lady was here today and mentioned about him getting cleaning stuff on his paws possibly making him sick? He is now back to just lying down not wanting to get up. His eyes initially looked like he was far away...not present kinda or as alert. But when he had a tiny moment of seeming better, he was alert. This cat also has FIV.
Ok,

It is interesting you mention the cleaning products because your description does present some neurological signs - the vacant look, the walking backwards and lethargy.

My concern is the speed this has developed and that there is a risk of toxin exposure. Detergents and cleaning products can be lethal to animals and a lot of them will cause neurological signs. With the suddenness of these problems I would be surprised if it had anything to do with the FIV.

So the possibilities include possible toxin ingestion from waling on the detergent/cleaner. This would make him sick, give him abdominal pain and as mentioned earlier also cause neurological signs.
Another possibility is he has an injury/pain somewhere which is causing him anxiety, commonly in cats this is from a cat fight but this is not possible with him.

As there is a high risk of him ingesting some toxic chemicals and the need for potential treatment (supportive treatment, fluids and medication to prevent further absorption of the toxins) I would suggest that you make an urgent appointment with the vets as there is only a narrow window of responsiveness to treatment with some poisons. If you go to the vet, try to find out the cleaning stuff that was used, if your able take the bottle with you so the vet know precisely what potential toxins are being dealt with.

I would much rather urge you to go to the vet and he not have a serious condition, then advise you to keep him home and something terrible happen to him.

I really hope he is ok

Good luck

Dr Dan Makin
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon