Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.
24683783

My cat has the sniffles, sounds congested and is sneezing.

My cat has the sniffles, sounds congested and is sneezing. His appetite is normal. He is 16 years old.
Hi there,

My goodness, it sounds like Hobbes has an upper respiratory condition. Does he go outside? There are many viruses and mycoplasma etc than can cause upper respiratory conditions in cats so there may have been a cat around with one. Generally I treat symptomatically with antihistamine. You can buy that over the counter at the drug store. Chlorpheniramine 4 mg tablets, 1/2 tablet twice a day. If his nose gets stuffy and he stops eating then add Neosynephrine nose drops mildest strength 1 drop each nostril twice daily for 3 days. Make sure his food is nice and aromatic and warm it to inhance the smell. If he gets a discolored eye or nasal discharge then he will need antibiotics from your veterinarian..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would that be something like claritin or benadryl? My daughter happens to be in the grocery store right now and could pick it up there. Perhaps a brand name product is the same? I know I may need to go to the drug store. What do you think?

Chlortrimeton is the brand name, 4mg sometimes called Repetabs. If Benadryl is used the liquid would be best which is 5 mg per cc. If your cat weighs 10 pounds then she would need 10 mgs or 2 cc or a little less than a quarter teaspoonfull twice a day.