Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -11 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.

my cat has a swollen eye with puss coming out. The eyeball

Customer Question

my cat has a swollen eye with puss coming out. The eyeball is not damaged
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

When did this start?

Is only one eye affected or both?

Is she rubbing at her eye or squinting the eye?

What color discharge are you seeing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it started a week ago and got progressively worse

only one eye

yes rubbing and squinting

yellowish

I can send a pic if possiable

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

If you would like to send a picture that would be great. Are you familiar with how to do that? Most browsers will have a paper clip icon next to the reply box that will allow you to attach the picture . Go ahead and try that. If you have trouble let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

graphic

let me know if you see it, Im having some issues with the attatchment link

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the picture.

She looks like this could be due to one of a couple of different disorders:

- A corneal ulcer or scratch to the outer surface or the eye
- An infection such as conjunctivitis similar to what people get
- A foreign body stuck under the eyelid or in the eye such as a piece of grass
- An allergic reaction

At this time she definitely has an infection in the eye and the absolute best way to help her out would be to take her to a veterinary hospital today to have her eye evaluated and then get the proper medication to help her. Any time a cat's eye is red and inflamed, this can be a very serious problem that needs attention right away. If the eye is allowed to get worse she could sustain vision problems in the eye potentially.

If your vet is not open today and an emergency visit is not possible then I would buy some normal saline eye rinse (available in the contact lens solutions area at any drug store) and use this to flush her eye out at least 3-4 times today until you can get her into your vet's office.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM -11 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the info and I will do that, I'm thinking its a foreign body or a scratch, great service to have an expert available to help.

Thank You.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome!