Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -12 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

is there a home remedy/treatment for feline urine scald on

Customer Question

is there a home remedy/treatment for feline urine scald on the anus
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Do you remember what the medication was you used before?

Does your cat have a urinary tract problem?

Does she have diarrhea problems?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't remember the name of it. It was prescribed when the scald was very bad. Was supposed to be used for 10 days...I don't think she has a urinary tract problem yet, but in the past she will develop one if I don't get this healed soon. So far I haven't seen diarrhea problems.

9 years ago she fractured the ball of her hip and they said she would develop a cyst that would function like the ball of the hip. I noticed that her urine stream seemed to have changed after that. She was fine for a long time and then became very overweight. She has lost weight, but this flares up every now and then.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Probably one of the safest ointments that you can use for this condition is actual vaseline or a petroleum jelly. Most of the other "diaper rash" ointments are not safe for cats and can be toxic if ingested (as most cats will lick at any ointment that your apply). The vaseline will help not only keep the skin moist but can also prevent the scalding. Another possible ointment that you could use would be a triple antibiotic ointment as this does have an antibacterial effect that could prevent infection of help clear an infection that is already there.

If this is not helping then you may have to ask your vet about a ointment called panalog or animax which may be even more effective.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM -12 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions that I can help you with? I want to make sure that your question is answered completely. If I have provided a helpful answer please do not hesitate to click on the accept, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thank you so much in advance!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The vaseline doesn't prevent the inflammation from healing? I think the medicine was animax....do you know where to get triple antibiotic ointment? Is it something that Walgreens or someplace like that has?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Walgreens will definitely have triple antibiotic ointment. The name brand is neosporin though the generic will help just as well.

The vaseline is more of a preventive therefore if she already has an infection then treat with the antibiotic ointment first and then try the vaseline to prevent future problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read the back of the neosporin and it has some form of zinc or something with zinc in the name and thought that zinc was toxic to cats. So, it is really safe? LOL. If I had known that I would have been using it a long time ago!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Neosporin is very safe for cats. The amount of zinc is smaller then the amount that is in their normal diet. You can definitely use this without any concerns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!