CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

I discovered a lump in my cats abdomen area on the right side

I discovered a lump in my cat's abdomen area on the right side this weekend. It is about the size of an egg and has delevoped quick. I am always rubbing her stomach and have never felt it before. She is eating normally and her urine and bowl movements are also good. It doens't seem to bother her when I touch it. How concerned should I be.? I still need to call our vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is this on/under the skin - or actually inside the belly

inside belly on right side. about size of an egg.

CriticalCareVet :

Ok - while this may be a benign mass, a lipoma, I would have this evaluated.

CriticalCareVet :

Before considering a surgery - the recommendation to determine what the growth is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have additional questions!

Yes it does make sense. I will also be seeing my niece on saturday who is also a vet for her opinion. Thanks for your help.

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!

CriticalCareVet :

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.