DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

My cat crys when using the litter box. Does he need a laxative

Customer Question

My cat cry's when using the litter box. Does he need a laxative ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
I will do my best to answer your question. When male cats begin crying out in the litter box, our biggest concern is that there is a urinary obstruction/blockage from a stone that lodges in the urethra. Ensure that he has urinated within the past 24 hours and that he is not actually straining to urinate. If he is unable to urinate, he needs to go to the ER as soon as possible, as this can lead to electrolyte imbalances or even bladder rupture. Otherwise you can attempt to stimulate a bowel movement by using 1 tablespoon of canned cooking pumpkin or Metamucil. You can also use 1/4" strip of Cat-Lax (this can be purchased at most pet stores). Ensure that his gums are moist- they should not dry/tacky as this could be a sign of dehydration, leading to constipation. If he does not have a bowel movement and continues to cry out in the litter box or if he is not urinating, he should be seen.
I hope this helps,
-Dr. Jessica