David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic

Hello, My cat is limping holding up her front right paw.

My cat is limping holding up her front right paw. She is still jumping short distances, eating, etc. I looked at the paw and do not see an injury; though it could be a small glass shard. She's not yelping or crying and is currently resting. I applied hydrogen peroxide to reduce the risk of infection if it is glass. What else should I do? Ace bandage, vet?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

If you think it may be a glass shard or other possible puncture (even if you are not seeing one), you can soak the paw in warm epsom salt water for a few minutes, a few times a day. Please don't give any human pain relievers, as these can be quite toxic to cats. I also would not bandage the leg, as it's very easy to put a bandage on too tightly, and that can lead to lots of problems. I would restrict activity as much as possible overnight. If the limping is still present tomorrow, it would be best to get an exam done (ER clinic, or on-call veterinarian), so that a diagnosis can be made, and then effective (and safe) pain medication can be prescribed, since there are only a couple types of safe pain relievers that can be used in cats.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She hates water; she freaks out any time I even try to wipe her down. How might I get her to get her paw in an epsom soak?

Thanks for your reply.

If she absolutely hates water and will not tolerate it, you might not be able to do the epsom salt soaks. You can try it, but you don't want to stress her out more, or even potentially cause her to hurt herself (or you) in the process. If that is the case, you may need to skip the soaks, and just keep her restricted until you can get her examined (if the limping continues). You can also try using cold compresses on the leg (ice cubes or an ice pack wrapped in a hand towel) on the leg for a few minutes, as this can help with pain, swelling, and inflammation.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave