Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.

My cats hair has been falling out in clumps for a while now,

My cat's hair has been falling out in clumps for a while now, though I seem to be noticing it more. It is especially noticable where she sleeps on our beds. She is about 5 years old and does have a heart condition (PFO.) She does have thicker, longer fur and has always shed a lot. The hair loss seems to be mostly on her sides. None on her head or limbs. We have recently done a large addition to our house and she was deficating in our new closet. She has always been "skiddish" as well. Could it just be the stress of our home remodel or should I worry it is something more serious? She doesn't seem to be scratching more than normal.
If your kitty has a definitive diagnoses of Patent Foramen Ovale which I think you mean by PFO then she could be very prone to advancing to congestive heart disease but otherwise should not have effect on her level of anxiety. It is very possible that her hair loss is relative the the noise and frustration around the addition in the house as cats are very sensitive to change. If it continues you might be best getting to your veterinarian for a good exam and medical workup to rule out other problems and to possibly pursue short term anxiety medication to help her through this problem.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney