vetmom4
vetmom4, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as cat and dog veterinarian, 28 years as practice owner, Past President of SCAV
19442602

My cat is 18 years old - her eyes are always dilated now, the

My cat is 18 years old - her eyes are always dilated now, the another night she ran into the bathroom wall w/ the light on. I think she may be blind, but has no cataracts or cloudiness in her eyes. could she be going blind?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  vetmom4 replied 2 years ago.

vetmom4 :

Hi, I am vetmom and I will happy to help you today with your cat. I attend many continuing education courses on feline medicine.

vetmom4 :

So sorry to hear that. Yes it is very possible that "Mama Kitty" may be loosing her eyesight.

vetmom4 :

Kudos on an 18 year old cat!

vetmom4 :

There are many causes of blindness in animals.

vetmom4 :

Since you are not seeing any evidence of cataracts the problem is likely in the retina which is the back surface of the eye. Your veterinarian should be able to see this area easily since her eyes are fully dilated.

vetmom4 :

The retina is the reflective surface where the optic nerve enters the eye. It is what you see at night when you shine a light in a cat's eyes.

vetmom4 :

In cats, blood pressure issues can cause retinal problems as well as tumors and detachment.

vetmom4 :

Diabetes can also cause blindness.

vetmom4 :

If it is a blood pressure issue medication may help so it is worth a trip to the veterinarian

Customer:

She unfortunately hasn't seen the vet in years-she's always been so healthy. I know I should get her in but we always seem to have our dogs in there for one thing or another. She is the only cat in the house - I have two dogs.

vetmom4 :

to diagnose.

vetmom4 :

Now it's her turn. She deserves it since she's given such an easy time for a long while.

Customer:

She has always been a small kitty, but she's lost weight , and doesn't seem to gain any although she gets fed regularly. Blood pressure seem like a good possiblity.I have never considered that.

vetmom4 :

Loosing weight in a geriatric cat can be a sign of hyperthyroidism, diabetes and kidney failure.

Customer:

You are right, I will make her an appointment, Wow, all that huh

vetmom4 :

Yes, it's time for your senior to have a thorough checkup.

vetmom4 :

Are there are any other questions I can help you with today?

Customer:

Thank-you I will suggest these things to the vet! No thanks again

vetmom4 :

My pleasure. If you are satisfied with my responses, please click on the accept button so I can help other pet owners. Kind regards, vetmom

vetmom4, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as cat and dog veterinarian, 28 years as practice owner, Past President of SCAV