Dr. K
Dr. K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My cat has bloody stool with mucus in. It is kind of mixed

My cat has bloody stool with mucus in. It is kind of mixed with hard and runny bits. I've dewormed him with Drontal last year October. He acts normal and eats normal.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Does your cat go outside, or his indoor only?

For how long has he had this bloody stool?

Is he vomiting as well?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He goes outside and I've found some fleas on him, but I am to scared to apply the Spot-on as I am scared it will affect him because of the bloody stool. I've noticed yesterday that the stool looked kind of funny, but today I clearly noticed the blood. He vomited four days ago, but it was just gras that he ate. He is a long hair cat. Don't know whether it can be a hairball?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.
Hairballs are not going to cause bloody stool. The most common cause of bloody stool in animals is intestinal parasites. This is especially true of cats that go outside. If he has fleas, then he very well may have tapeworms. The tapeworms will not go away until he is treated for the fleas. The best products to use to get rid of the fleas are veterinary approved products like Frontline, Advantage, Revolution, etc...

Hematochezia (bright red blood in or on the feces) can result from a number of different things that generally cause inflammation or irritation of the rectum or anus. It can also occur with diseases of the colon. Causes include:

Rectal or Anal strictures
Problems with the Anal Glands
Cancers
Rectal Polyps
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Constipation
Ingestion of Foreign Bodies (Bones from animal carcasses, toys, strings etc...)

Since your kitty is not on a monthly dewormer and has not been dewormed since October, parasites can certainly be a possibility and you should bring him in for an examination and a fecal analysis (bring a stool sample with you). Upon physical exam, the vet will also be able to check heis anus and rectum for any signs of polyps, tumors or anal gland inflammation. If all checks out okay, the parasite test is negative and he does not respond to an empirical deworming, the next step would be to pursue blood and urine laboratory testing and abdominal ultrasound to look for signs of inflammatory bowel disease.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your cat. If you have further questions regarding this matter, please just let me know as I would be happy to address them for you. If not, then please click on the "accept."

Dr. K
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it save to deworm him with Drontal? Will it help for tapeworms?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.
No, Drontal will not help for tapeworms. For that you would need Drontal Plus..or some other dewormer that contained Praziquantel.

Really, he needs to have his stool examined.

Drontal will not hurt him and will kill roundworms and hookworms. But it will not kill tapeworms.