Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.

My cat has suddenly stopped eating and drinking water in his

My cat has suddenly stopped eating and drinking water in his normal amounts. He seems to be losing weight and wants his stomach area rubbed. He seems to be sleeping more as well and not as eneregetic. My last two cats seemed to have had similar symptoms before thhey died. Both of these cats were 15 and 13 years old. Soren is about 9 years of age. He does not seem to be in distress except he seems toact like he needs to throw up once in a while. He is strickly an indoor cat. The first cat Checkers Vet couldn't find anything wrong and attributed to old age, Missy who died 6 months ago had similar symptoms but suffered from asthma most of her life. Is there anything I should or can do or have checked for Soren?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Did Soren drink more before he stopped drinking for several months? Was he losing weight before he stopped eating? Was he a heavy cat? let me know and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he is still drinking water, just not as much as he was three months ago. He is still eating canned food and dry food, just not as much as three months ago. he was 15 lbs 1 yr ago now 14 at the vet 2 weeks ago. not really a heavy cat.
There are several things that could be going on so it would be best to have a blood panel and a urinalysis and a test for pancreatitis done. I am thinking about the possibility of Diabetes, Pancreatits or Kidney failure and hyperthyroid should be ruled out as well.