David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic

My cat has blood in urine. Shes eating and drinking norm

My cat has blood in urine. She's eating and drinking normally.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Blood in the urine in a cat can go along with a few things, including a urinary tract infection, urinary tract inflammation, bladder stones, bladder cancer (not common). Ideally, Ella would be seen by a veterinarian and have a urine test done to check for infection, inflammation, crystals. Also X-rays or ultrasound of the bladder can help to check for bladder stones or a tumor (again, bladder cancer is uncommon in cats). Depending on the test results will help determine specific treatment, but can include antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication, special urinary food. There's not much you can do at home, until the underlying cause is determined. Just try to encourage water intake to help flush out the bladder. You can also add a small amount of cranberry juice to the water, as this can help with bladder health.

I encourage you to read a good article on feline cystitis HERE. It goes over many possible causes and potential treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is an emergency hospital here open 24 hrs, but charges 150.00 just to walk in, is this an emergency or can it wait til Monday when the regular vet is open? She dosn't seem to be in any pain. Do I need to take her tonight or can it wait til even tomorrow or Monday ?

Thanks for your reply.

It would be best to have her seen tonight, since this is usually an umcomfortable problem, even if she is not acting painful (most cats don't show pain like we do, or like we would expect, they just hide it well). It would be best to get treatment started as soon as possible. If you are not able to do this, just make sure she is eating, drinking, and passing urine well through the rest of the weekend, and then get her into your veterinarian Monday.

I hope this helpe. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave