Dr. Adam
Dr. Adam, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

How can you tell if an outdoor/indoor cat has rabies (early

How can you tell if an outdoor/indoor cat has rabies (early signs)?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Adam replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Well Rabies seems like kind of a jump. Typically they have to be bitten by another animal. I do have some signs for you to watch for but ...

Has Tinkerbelle had a Rabies vaccine ever?

If she is outside a lot, has she also had FeLV/FIV vaccines?

Could you describe what she is doing that is not like herself? Eating, drinking normally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She seems not to like being touched, keeps licking her mouth, prefers dark and quiet places (behind the couch, in bathroom basket).

she has had her shots. There is also a strong, unpleasant smell coming from her when you are near her mouth
Expert:  Dr. Adam replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

Rabies is probably not likely. Most animals that can transmit rabies to cats transmit through bites. The most common animals are pretty large, and usually kill the cat while biting : foxes, dogs, etc. Although bats are definitely a concern in many areas.

Cats hide when in pain or sick. So, she could be hiding due to that. They try to avoid pain, problem is they don't know where the pain is coming from usually. They feel like their mouth hurts, and they know that, but they don't know what is causing the pain - IE my tooth is bad. I have seen dogs with tooth problems attack their feeding bowls because they think that the food bowl is hurting them when they are trying to eat.

The strong unpleasant smell coming from her mouth could very well be an abscess, and most likely a tooth abscess.

If so, she will need antibiotics to clear it up, and possible sedation, and sugery to clean out the abscess pocket. Unfortunately, there are no medications that you can give at home that will fix that. I wish I could tell you there was.

You will need a visit to the vet on this one. And I think the sooner the better.

I hope you understand. I think this is the best answer I can give you!

Please feel free to respond if you have more questions at any time. I am here to help and would be glad to assist you!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question! If the information I have provided has been useful, please press "ACCEPT" just once, or I will not receive credit for helping you. Thanks!

Bonuses for great answers are always appreciated!

Your question will not close after pressing accept so you may ask follow up questions. There is no additional charge for questions I ask you!

For more info about me (CLICK HERE) To request me in the future you may bookmark and use that link to ask a question of me ANYTIME. OR you may place "For DrRalston" in your question.

Dr. Adam, Veterinarian
Experience: Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.