Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My cat meows every time I touch he lower half of her body.

Customer Question

My cat meows every time I touch he lower half of her body. (like by her tale) I know something is hurting her. She has harldly ate. hardly walks. I pick her up and she cries. I am not sure why. I was helping my sister move yesterday for about 5 hours. My mother was at my apartment watching my son. I came home and my mom was asleep, I saw my cat on my bed, and I picked her up to lay close to me and she let out a loud cry like I hurt her. I didnt want to wake up my mom, So I dont know if she got hurt or something while I was gone. I called my boyfriend to see what I should do. He said give it a day. I leave for work at 4 in the morning. She sleeps with me every night and now She is now hiding somewhere. She was a stray so I don't know if she is spayed, she has gained weight. I am at work now and I can't stop thinking about it. Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Dr. Loretta :

If Snookie will not eat, then you should see your vet. She has either picked up an infection or has injured an area in her back which is causing her this distress. Unfortunately, there is no over teh counter medication that is safe to give cats but your vet will have a prescription medication to help her past this. If this is merely an emotional issue, this will respond on its own by using Feliway which is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will make her feel better. Check her when you get home...if she is not improved, take her to your vet.

Customer :

Do you think she might be pregnant?

Dr. Loretta :

This does not sound like she is pregnant but she will show odd signs such as this when in heat....if she is eating normally and is showing this vocalization and tenderness at the base of her tail, this may be because she is going into heat...watch her for a few days to see if this continues....

Customer :

I will probably take her to the vet if she is not better when I get home. My boyfriend says I should wait a couple days incase its just a soreness. I just dont like seeing her in pain. Is there a way I can tell if she is spayed? She was declawed when I got her. So i just assume that if they spent the money to do that, they spent the money to get her fixed

Dr. Loretta :

If she is declawed, I would be surprised if she were not spayed. Look at her abdomen and often you can see an incision line down the center....if she is not in heat, then she may require pain medication due to an injury or infection. Good Luck!

Customer :

So you think I should take her to vet when I get home, rather than wait a few days?

Dr. Loretta :

Yes, if she is still the same, it is unlikely from what you have told me that she is in heat....if she is still eating well, you can give it a few days but of she feels bad enough to go off her food, this could require veterinary care...

Customer :

I just called some vet clinics and they are closed today for the holiday. So that means I would have to take her to emergency vets...I really dont have the money for that. I am torn...

Dr. Loretta :

Check to see if she will eat....this will tell you if this an emergency or not...let me know...

Customer :

ok, I will try water too

Dr. Loretta :

Good for you! Let me know....

Customer :

My friend says it sounds like a urinal blockage that his cat had, which it requires surgery... which I cant afford, does it sound like that to you?

Dr. Loretta :

the females rarely, if ever develop a urinary blockage because their urethra is larger than the males....this is not the problem....it is either an abscess forming causing her pain or other injury to her back that may require pain medications that you can only get from your vet.

Customer :

thank you

Dr. Loretta :

You are very welcome!! Have a Great New year!

Customer :

you too

Dr. Loretta :

Thanks!

Customer :

I am leaving now I will let you know

Dr. Loretta :

Thanks...that would be great!

Customer :

I took her to the vet, they wanted to x rays and I couldnt afford the $200, so I paid $70 to have them see her and give her pain meds, I am going to try and her in on payday(friday)