Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat hasnt had a bowel movement for at least 5 days. What

My cat hasn't had a bowel movement for at least 5 days. What can I safely give her to get things moving?

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
I assume she is still eating and drinking normally.

Some options to possibly help with constipation include:

- Offering a little milk. Cats and dogs can be lactose intolerant, and just like in people, this can result in a laxative effect.

- Offering some canned pumpkin, Metamucil, or bran (1-2 teaspoons). The fiber pulls water in from the colon and this can help to move stool. Make sure your pet is drinking water if giving any of these supplements.

- Encouraging water intake is very important. You can add some canned food to the water or some canned tuna juice to make it more tasty. Make sure to change frequently as the water will spoil.

- Often, severe impaction can occur, where the colon is overly distended with firm feces. This is called a Megacolon, and you need a veterinarian’s assistance. This condition can often require repeated enemas by a veterinarian, and none of the above will work.

- An over-the-counter product you could get is called “Laxatone” (for cats)

<a href="http://www.grandmashomeremedies.com/home-remedies-for-cat-constipation.html" target="_blank">Other Home Remedies for Feline Constipation

Dr. Andy :

About the most I can suggest, but you may really need to get into a vet for assistance.
Good Luck

_____________________________ ________________________________

If there is something I have not covered, just let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: