Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

My cat has breast cancer. The vet said she would need a double

My cat has breast cancer. The vet said she would need a double mastectomy and I opted not to put her through the procedure. Now, the tumor, which is the size of a large marble, is weeping and has a fairly large opening. She exhibits no other signs of illness. I have been putting hydrogen peroxide on the wound, but the opening is getting larger and larger. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear about your cat. Is there just the one lump or are there multiple lumps in her mammary glands?P

Dr. Scarlett :

If there is just a single mass, I would ask your vet (or maybe get a second opinion) about just doing a lumpectomy and not doing the full double mastectomy. I would also have the mass sent off for histopath to see if it is malignant or benign.

Dr. Scarlett :

For right now, the hydrogen peroxide for a couple days is ok, but it sounds like she needs some oral antibiotics. But I would still ask about doing a less drastic surgery.

Customer:

There is one large lump, but the first vet I took her to said she showed evidence in her other teats. She is very hairy, so it is hard for me to tell. I don't feel anything else.

Customer:

I can also feel a large mass under the existing tumor. Both vets I have taken her too said there was an 85% chance that it was malignant. I don't want to put her through a big operation, nor can I afford it. If I have the lump removed and it is malignant then whar?

Dr. Scarlett :

If there are multiple lumps, then I would agree with your vets that the chance it is malignant is pretty high. So not doing surgery makes sense. But I would get her started on antibiotics as the largest lump is now draining and ulcerated and infected. The antibiotics will help and make Nancy feel better. But apart from that, there isn't much else you can do.

Dr. Scarlett :

Assessing quality of life is very important at this point, so you can make sure she isn't suffering and can let her have a peaceful passing when the time is right. For cats, eating is very important, so if she goes a couple days without eating, she is probably not feeling well.

Customer:

I have to go out of town for 3 weeks on a job. My roommate won't deal with her. Is there anything I can put on the lump that will seal it up?

Dr. Scarlett :

No. The inside of the tumor is necrotic and infected. If you could seal it up, the infection would just create a large abscess. If you are leaving town and have no one to care for her, then humane euthanasia now may be the best option.

Customer:

It has gotten bad quickly. It stayed solid for so long, but now....I knew I would have to put her down eventurally, but I thought she would act more distressed. Her personality hasn't really changed, though her appetite has been affected.

Dr. Scarlett :

Cats are good at hiding their pain, so if her appetite is down, that may be the best indicator that she isn't feeling well.

Customer:

Thank you. She has been a good pet. I want her to pass pain free and with dignity.

Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.