Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat ate a bunch of bacon grease, and is now barfing and

My cat ate a bunch of bacon grease, and is now barfing and not eating. She normally never barfs and always eats like a pig. I suspect she's got a plug of congealed grease in her stomach, and wondered if there's something I can feed her to loosen it up. Otherwise, she'd alert, meowing, wandering around ... i.e. she doesn't look or behave as if she's ill.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

Excessive oily food can cause gastrointestinal upset. This is what you can do:

1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 2.5mg every 12 hours. You can find Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not have pepcid ac leave without anything. Do not give pepto bismol it is toxic to cats.

2- No food or water for the next 8-12 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (25%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (75%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The kitty always eats dry Iams for indoor weight and hair ball. Never canned food yet. Does that change your suggestion about the chicken of beef?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
No it does not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think this is great. Way better than visiting my veterinarian on Christmas Eve. He's nice, but no Santa Clause.

Anyway, I market the thing urgent and detailed so I could pay you the max. It's worth it.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Your Welcome.

Merry Christmas.