Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

my poor old cat is so thin and vomiting I just took him for

my poor old cat is so thin and vomiting I just took him for a blood test it was o.k. the vet gave him a cortisone shot and a vitamin b12 shot yesterday but he seems worse today

Its the weekend I don't know what to do poor old guy is dehydrated doesnt want food what should i do?!!!!??
Hello.

Do you have copies of the bloodwork you can post here?

Did they check kidney function?

Did they check thyroid function?

How did they diagnose IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not have the copies of bloodwork with me. His thyroid is fine they said. kidney I dont remember. The vet was pretty reputable who diagnosed him with ibd but i cant remember how he did it. he probably does not have cancer because this has been going on for over a year. but right this minute he is so so thin and vomiting is there anything I can do this holiday weeekend to help him? his vomit is greenish and liquid.

I tried to give him the metronidazole but he vomited again.

sorry i cant answer all your questions can you give me any ideas to hold us over till vet opens monday??

Thank you Dr. Gary

Laura

i love this cat I just lost my fiance I dont think I can take it if this cat dies tooright now....

Ok thanks Laura,

I think your best option would be to run him to an ER vet where they can put him on IV fluids to rehydrate him and give injectable meds to stop the vomiting and get him eating again.

If you want to try something at home, you can pick up some Pepcid AC (Famotidine) and give that to him. The dose in cats is 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours as needed.

I am worried that you're dealing with a GI cancer. We do see a lot of IBD cats end up converting to intestinal lymphoma over time. We think that the chronic irritation eventually leads to mutations and cancer forms. Treatment is with oral steroids and chemotherapy meds (either injectable or oral Leukeran).

At home though, giving a bland diet (chicken/ rice), Pepcid and trying to get some fluids in him is all you can do. By fluids, you can syringe water or Pedialyte or Gatorade every few hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.