Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our cat is pooping where he sleeps or right by where he sleeps

Customer Question

Our cat is pooping where he sleeps or right by where he sleeps he is an outside cat, what can we do to prevent this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. Are his stools normal? Is he doing this defecation inside where he sleeps / by where he sleeps?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes they are normal and in the morning sometimes they are in where he sleeps and other times they are right next to it. He does go into the dirt areas also, away from the area, but the last 2 days in the morning they are on his bedding.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Is this bedding / sleeping area inside or outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
outside- a covered off the ground 18X18 box with a towel inside
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
This is very interesting. It is something that goes against everything that should be the norm. With him outside, he has everywhere to be able to go to the bathroom. He should absolutely not want to go in the area where he is sleeping. Is he going in this area because there are no other suitable places? I would find that odd. Could he have a substrate preference? He just likes to go on sheets??? This is possible. IN this situation, I would consider making his sleeping area smaller so he has only room in there for him to get comfortable and hopefully discourage him from going in there as he would be that much closer to it. Do you make the sacrifice of having a towel elsewhere for him to go on that is his "litter box" that is easier to clean and keeps his sleeping area clean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he does have another towel outside but only lays on it during the day. He has not used this for a litterbox yet. he fits pretty snug in his bed box so i can't make it any smaller? could there be any thing else that it could be?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

The other possibility is that he fecally is incontinent and is having these stools just drop out without him being aware of it. If he wasn't moving his tail, then this would be a huge consideration. Cats are clean by nature and it should be his ultimate goal to not be sleeping in that small of an area with feces if he can at all avoid it. I'm curious if this is something that is happening while asleep.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if he is asleep when this happens but he has been out of the box when I have found the stools left in the box. he doesn't seem to have this problem when he is sleeping in the house for the few hours he is inside?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to say this is just very, very strange to say the least. Is he treating this box as his outdoor litter box? For some reason, this may be the case. Could you make another box for him to use as a sleeping area and just let this one be the litter box?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess, maybe I should put a regular litterbox outside and see if he uses it? I think we just have a very strange cat, he has always been a little psycho. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Placing a regular litter box outside would also be a great idea. I hate to say this, this is interesting to say the least!