CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat cant poop

Customer Question

My cat can't poop
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When did this start?

2) Is he eating?

3) Drinking?

4) Vomiting?

5) Straining to defecate?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It started this morning. he could not poop and was straining. he is vomiting he ate a little this morning.
There are many reasons for constipation in cats (LINK HERE)
It can range from:
- Diet changes
- Dehydration
- Even secondary system problems such as hyperthyroidism and kidney changes

Regarding the bowel movements, these suggestions should help:

- Offer milk. The reason for this is that most cats are mildly lactose intolerant and milk will have a natural laxative effect, just like it will in people that are lactose intolerant.

- You can also try a hairball product such as Laxatone - LINK HERE these are usually petroleum based and will allow for easier passage for the feces.

- Encouarged water/drinking is also recommended as the colon normally reabsorbs water in the body if the patient is dehydrated, thus making more firm stool that is uncomfortable to pass. If we increase water and hydration, we can then get softer stool that is easier to pass.

- Another option is over the counter Miralax, 1/4 teaspoon every 12 hours (LINK HERE)

- Your veterinarian can also prescribe a specific medication, "Lactulose" (LINK HERE)if the signs do not resolve with the recommendations listed above.

I hope this information helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.