Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

my cat has a very bad sore on her nose that wont heal. she

my cat has a very bad sore on her nose that wont heal. she was scratched on the nose by another cat or possibly a mouse. the scabbing is black in color and will build up then fall off. it appears to be eating away at the nose. she is a mature white female
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Is she indoor/outdoor? How old would you estimate her to be? Is she scratching at or bothering at the wound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both in and out, aprox. 7. no she dosent mess with it.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Non-healing wounds after trauma (that aren't being messed with) are not at all common, so I would be concerned of other possible causes. How long has the wound been there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
aprox. 2 months.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
How large is the wound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its only on her nose. upper area now, the distal tip has no scabbing but is raw
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this additional description - based on everything you have told me this area really needs a biopsy or needle aspirate to determine what it is (could be a cancerous or allergy related issue - if this were the case it would not go away with just time).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats what i thought.. any type of ointment i could use on it before i get her into the vet. may help with discomfort.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
One lesion in particular that can show up on especially white cats that have sun exposure is squamous cell carcinoma - the quicker this is known the better so that appropriate therapies can be pursued. You could use a topical triple antibiotic ointment in the meantime but I wouldn't put anything else on this area until she sees the vet (such as steroid creams, etc, these can affect the results of the biopsy or needle aspirate sample). If you see her pawing at or rubbing the lesion at all, purchase en e-collar (cone type collar) to prevent her from touching/rubbing the wound, which will further irritate it if she is able to do so.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
If it is found to be allergy related or immune system related - a steroid or immune modulator drug may ultimately be what she needs. If it is found to be a cancerous lesion, depending on how aggressive you want to be, surgery and radiation therapy, for example, may be the best course of action. Exactly what it is and how to best proceed will be possible with a tissue sample, and this is necessary at this point since the area has not healed after two months of being there. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.
Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you this has been very helpfull..
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, good luck with everything and please let me know if you have any questions moving forward.