Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

Cat ate some dental floss. Now what?

Cat ate some dental floss. Now what?

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a chance that this dental floss could cause an accordion effect in your cats intestinal tract which could be very serious. Since you are seeing it come out Flora's anus, give her a dose of Laxatone or Petromalt every 4 hrs until the remainder of the floss comes out. This will help this slide through her tact without getting stuck in an area of the tract. This can be purchased at the pet store.

Do not pull on this floss and if it gets stuck here or Flora starts vomiting and stops eating, take her to your vet. Chances are good that this will slide through but rarely, it can get stuck and then this is serious.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On closer inspection, it seems more like a thin elastic thread ... but, I expect your answer will be about the same. It's thin ... like thread. I suspect it's from a bed skirt she chews on frequently.
Even if it is thread, this may actually be worse. Cats are prone to eating threads that have one piece get stuck in the intestinal tract and as the intestines try to remove this with peristalsis, the intestines will become like an accordion and this is very serious and will require surgery. The Petromalt will help this slide is good to cut off any long piece but leave a piece so you can monitor it coming out.

Look for any vomiting or anorexia...hopefully , this will slide through.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If we take her to the vet tomorrow, will they be able to see via x-ray or such how much elastic is in her intestines? Would it be safe to take her to vet tomorrow or unnecessary as she isn't displaying any vomiting yet?
An xray will not show this thread but a contrast study could determine if the intestinal tract was going into this accordion state...I would wait to see how she is doing in the morning and then determine if she requires veterinary attention. Most of these will go right through....