Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

My cat is sneezing and has watery eyes (mainly just one eye),

My cat is sneezing and has watery eyes (mainly just one eye), should I take him to the vet? Other than sleeping a lot he acts ok. He is elderly, 20+ years old.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question. Is Bob eating and drinking well? Has he ever had sneezing episodes before (upper respiratory signs)?

Customer:

He seems to be eating and drinking ok. I know he's had watery eyes before but not often. I don't remember him sneezing before.

Dr. John :

Thanks for the additional information. Do you have any other cats in the house? When was the last time he was vaccinated?

Customer:

He is actually an outdoor cat that lives in the garage in the wintertime (now that he is older). I'm not sure when his last vaccination was - probably a couple of years ago. There is a stray cat that has been hanging around so that is kind of scary.

Dr. John :

The sneezing and watery eye(s) can definitely represent an upper respiratory virus. Upper respiratory viruses (calicivirus and herpes virus - cat specific) can cause varying signs, including sneezing, eye discharge and/or ulceration, oral ulcerations, fever, nasal discharge, etc. They typically run their course and should improve in 7-10 days.

Dr. John :

How long has it been going on?

Customer:

It's been a few days now. So does it sound ok to watch him and just take him to the vet if he's not better by the end of the week?

Dr. John :

The other possibility is that he has always carried a latent upper respiratory virus and he has some other unrelated illness right now that has suppressed his immune system, allowing this virus to cause infection - things we concern ourselves with in elderly cats include (but aren't limited to) kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and cancer.

Dr. John :

Yes, I think that plan is fine UNLESS he stops eating and drinking or you notice any other concerning symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, increased water consumption, etc, then I think he should be seen sooner!

Customer:

That sounds good. Thanks for your help!! Have a happy Thanksgiving! :)

Dr. John :

You are welcome, Happy Thanksgiving too! Good luck with everything!!

Dr. John :

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.