CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat has several small lumps under her fur on her stomach,

My cat has several small lumps under her fur on her stomach, what is it and what can I do about it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are these lumps on the skin?

Is she spayed?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no they are under her skin.

yes she is spayed.

Under the skin as in masses or growths (rather than scabs?)

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Sometimes these are very hard to diagnose by touch, feel, or even location.

If they are soft, at times they can be benign, and if they are hard or not able to be moved, they are more likely to be cancerous, but you can be fooled very easily.

Before considering expensive testing or surgery, the recommendation to determine what the growth is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have additional questions!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist