Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

My cat has one red bald spot on his side. It is round/oval

My cat has one red bald spot on his side. It is round/oval and about a centimeter. It is red and the skin there is slightly raised and bumpy. I was afraid it might be ringworm so I black-lighted it and it did not glow, although I don't think that all types of ringworm glow. I used a flea comb to brush through it and it does not have any sort of scab. It does not seem to bother my cat. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide then put some lamisil on it just in case, he just sat there. Any idea what this might be? I need to know if it is contagious, I have 2 other cats. I can take him to the vet tomorrow if you think that would be a good idea, just didn't want to have to go in if its not necessary. Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Ringworm does not typically cause red raised skin lesions. It usually causes scaly circular areas of hair loss with minimal inflammation. In a cat this age the spot could be a result of an allergic reaction, skin tumor, bacterial infection, self trauma or immune mediated issue. A skin scrape or biopsy is the only way to know exactly which you are dealing with. If cleaning the sore and using topical antibiotics does not result in a quick improvement the sore should be examined and tested by your vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are raised skin lesions usually contagious to other animals or people? In other words, do I need to keep him separated from the other cats until I take him to the vet?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Ringworm would be the only contagious skin lesion a cat would develop. All other possible causes are not contagious. It will not hurt to keep him separated until tomorrow to be safe but it is not likely necessary.