Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My cat has one red bald spot on his side. It is round/oval

My cat has one red bald spot on his side. It is round/oval and about a centimeter. It is red and the skin there is slightly raised and bumpy. I was afraid it might be ringworm so I black-lighted it and it did not glow, although I don't think that all types of ringworm glow. I used a flea comb to brush through it and it does not have any sort of scab. It does not seem to bother my cat. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide then put some lamisil on it just in case, he just sat there. Any idea what this might be? I need to know if it is contagious, I have 2 other cats. I can take him to the vet tomorrow if you think that would be a good idea, just didn't want to have to go in if its not necessary. Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,

Ringworm does not typically cause red raised skin lesions. It usually causes scaly circular areas of hair loss with minimal inflammation. In a cat this age the spot could be a result of an allergic reaction, skin tumor, bacterial infection, self trauma or immune mediated issue. A skin scrape or biopsy is the only way to know exactly which you are dealing with. If cleaning the sore and using topical antibiotics does not result in a quick improvement the sore should be examined and tested by your vet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are raised skin lesions usually contagious to other animals or people? In other words, do I need to keep him separated from the other cats until I take him to the vet?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 years ago.
Ringworm would be the only contagious skin lesion a cat would develop. All other possible causes are not contagious. It will not hurt to keep him separated until tomorrow to be safe but it is not likely necessary.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.