CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat is sick......acts like he is drunk in a way or dizzy. he

Customer Question

my cat is sick......acts like he is drunk in a way or dizzy.
he is very tired and when I go to pick him up he hisses at me.
when he walks , he is off balance in the back legs .
He has had a fowl smell in his ears...... can this be an ear infection causing him to be dizzy ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When did this start?

2) Is he an indoor only cat?

3) Up to date on vaccines?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It started about 4 or 5 days ago....the off balance part. He seemed much better 2 days

ago and then yesterday started acting funny again.

He goes outside during the day ..... in the house when it gets dark.

No he's not up to date on his shots.

What color are the eyes?

Are both pupils the same size?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No he's not up to date on his shots.

His eyes are light gold, both pupils are the same size

With this history - notably the weakness and falling over - it certainly seems as if you are describing a vestibular or central nervous system event.

Tests to consider for cases such as this:
- Bloodwork - to check organ values such as the kidney and liver for underlying metabolic disease. Many times older cats such as this can have underlying diseases which can make them do this:
- Kidney disease
- Hyperthyroid
- Diabetes

- Blood pressure - cats with high blood pressure (hypertension) can have neurological signs

- Infectious disease titers such as Toxoplasma

- FELV/FIV/FIP

I hope this information helps and guides you!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is only 2 yrs old ....and this just came on suddenly.
He is 2 year old cat that can go outside and is not up to date on vaccines.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.