CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My wifes 24 year old cat is licking her wet food, not eating

My wife’s 24 year old cat is licking her wet food, not eating her dry food and is very frail. She still drinks here water but she seems to be going downhill. She started to get thin about 2 months ago. She still purrs all the time, but has been having diarrhea the past week or so and not going in her box. I just noticed about a ¼ cup of blood in her stool. I think it’s time to put her down, but I know this is going to be tough for my wife, kids and myself. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Have any tests been performed?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No test have been performed and has never been to a vet.
Regarding considering euthanasia, there is never an easy answer for this - but we are blessed with the ability to know when the time is right - when the quality of life for our pet is no longer one that is a good quality of life.

When they are not enjoying life, playing, or having signs of illness such as loss of appetite, neurological signs, and even other signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

This is never an easy decision to make - but when they are no longer enjoying life and having a good quality of life, this would be the most humane and loving decision to make.

Here is a link to a poem which might give you some comfort:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist