Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

my cat has been peeing in her water bowl. outside the cat pan

my cat has been peeing in her water bowl. outside the cat pan ,on my bed. I took her to the vet yesterday & she gother rabies & FVRCP shot along with clavanox liquid 1 every 12 hours.she is hiding(which i think she's mad about the meds)but i am worried about her urination everywhere.any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I know how frustrating this can be.

Rebeccavet :

Was a urinalysis done at your vet, to find out why she is doing this, or did they just dispense antibiotics, because it was assumed to be an infection?

Rebeccavet :

Is she drinking more water than she usually does?

Rebeccavet :

When she urinates out of her litter pan, is it just a few drops here and there, or does it seem to be a large amount of urine?

Rebeccavet :

A bladder infection, which is what the Clavamox would treat, can make a cat stop using the litter pan. So can being diabetic, having bladder stones, and having anxiety issues.

Rebeccavet :

The place to start is with a urinalysis. Is there infection? Are there crystals, like tiny sand crystals in the urine? Is there protein in the urine? Is the urine well concentrated? Is there any sugar in the urine?

Rebeccavet :

If the urinalysis is totally normal, that would rule out infection, glomerulonephritis, diabetes, and crystals as the cause of her not using the litter pan. However, if any of these things are abnormal in the urine, she may not start to use the litter pan until the problem is treated. Not all of these problems would improve with antibiotics.

Customer:

they could not get any urine at the vet

Rebeccavet :

So, if a urinalysis was not done, that is where to start. If it was done, and was completely normal and well concentrated, she may have a behavior problem. A physical problem is usually much, much easier to treat than a behavior problem.

Customer:

this came out of the blue . she has always used her box. i have 2 boxes for them & mostly 1 seems to have pee & the other crap

Rebeccavet :

If the antibiotics don't help, you need to get a urinalysis done. You could leave her at her veterinarian one morning, until they get a sample. You could buy something called "Nosorb" to put in a litter pan, and confine her to a small room with it, and hope she goes in the pan. Then since the Nosorb is (duh) nonabsorbant, you can take a sample to the veterinarian.

Rebeccavet :

If it came out of the blue, it is probably not a behavior problem. One more reason to get a urinalysis done.

Rebeccavet :

Which is good, because behavior problems can be so difficult to treat.

Customer:

i am hoping this antibiotic fixes the problem but these came from a feral cat who i believe had them when she was quite young

Customer:

the sister cat walks funny like her hips don't work right

Rebeccavet :

I hope the antibiotic helps as well. If it does, you should see an improvement in a couple of days.

Rebeccavet :

Most of the time, when a cat does not use the litter pan because of an infection, they urinate frequently, but only a small amount at a time.

Rebeccavet :

If she is urinating a large volume, an infection is less likely.

Rebeccavet :

Also, if you can't get the meds into her, ask about an injection of "Convenia". It is an antibiotic injection that lasts for a week.

Customer:

i reaaly cant tell because if she goes the dogs try to cover that scent. I think i will place her alone in my bathroom tommorrow & see if i get a better picture of who is doing what

Rebeccavet :

Putting her alone in a bathroom, with the litter pan, food, and water is a good idea. Then you can get a sense of whether she is drinking excessively ( a sign of diabetes and kidney disease), or if she is urinating small or large volumes, how much she is eating, etc.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Rebeccavet :

You might also be able to get a urine sample if she is confined. If she urinates on the floor, in a sink, or in a bathtub, you could suck up some urine with a dropper or a syringe.

Rebeccavet :

Any more questions for me?

Rebeccavet :

If so, please continue to ask.

Customer:

have you ever had a cat squat in her water bowl?

Customer:

my vet aughed

Customer:

laughed

Rebeccavet :

To urinate in the water? No, I can't say I have seen that.

Customer:

if her tail shakes that does mean that she is urinationg doesnt it?

Rebeccavet :

Cat will urinate in odd places when it burns when they urinate. I have seen them go in sinks, tubs, etc. where there could be water, but never in a water bowl.

Rebeccavet :

If he tail shakes, she could be urinating. She also could be spraying, or marking her territory. Spraying sometimes involves urine, sometimes not. I have also seen cats vibrate their tail when their anal glans are impacted.

Rebeccavet :

Anal glands I should say.

Rebeccavet :

Emptying anal glands can help a cat with pain and inappropriate urination.

Rebeccavet :

Any more questions for me?

Rebeccavet :

If so, I am here to answer them.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting my answer when you are ready. That is the only way I am paid by the website for my advice.

Customer:

she did not have a temp but i dont know if the looked at anal glands

Rebeccavet :

I hope the antibiotics help Callie soon. Good to hear she did not have a temp.

Rebeccavet :

You can't really look at anal glands; you have to feel them. Which cats don't really like.

Customer:

ok i'm good thanks so much i will accept

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.