How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23785
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a cat that has a nasal tumor (lymphosarcoma) take the herb

Resolved Question:

Can a cat that has a nasal tumor (lymphosarcoma) take the herb cats claw and also take IP6 to help immune system?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - IP6 can be given at a dose of 1/8 teaspoon daily. Cat's Claw is given at 1/4 the adult recommended dose which would amount to 100mg three times daily for Baby. Be careful with this herb as an overdose can cause hypotension. IP6 is an analog of inositol and should be completely safe for Baby. Unfortunately, neither have any peer reviewed literature substantiating their efficacy against lymphosarcoma and I've not seen a positive response in my practice. You might look into the immune booster LTCI which is available from T-Cyte(NNN) NNN-NNNN. This is an injectable product with provisional FDA approval. Baby's vet would need to order this for you. My last patient on LTCI - a feline leukemia virus sufferer - has greatly exceeded her life expectancy (hardly a scientific study but I had little to lose in trying the LTCI). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I'll be in and out today but will reply as soon as I can.
Dr. Michael Salkin and other Cat Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will consider the LTCI. I am now hesitant to pursue another round of chemo. I saw an oncologist to get a second opinion on the lymphosarcoma, and decided to do a round of chemo (lomustine) that day (October 10). There has been no improvement at all. Baby still snorting all the time and Oct 14th started significant swelling on one side of her face where lymphoma is growing. I am hoping my use of natural supplements might slow growth. I do accept inevitable also. What would be your thoughts on another round of chemo? Is it possible I would see a change then perhaps? I prefer doing natural and if you can suggest any other supplements I would appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 years ago.
If you've already used the rescue protocol of CCNU (lomustine) and haven't seen a positive response then further chemotherapy is likely to be of no avail. Radiation therapy should be considered as nasal lymphosarcoma is the most sensitive of the lymphosarcomas to radiation. To be quite frank with you I don't feel that any natural supplements are meant to deal with such an advanced cancer as Baby's. That said, the mushroom supplements you've used, cat's claw, alfalfa, and red clover have all been used as cancer remedies in cats. Giving each separately would be difficult for Baby and so I would recommend a veterinary naturopath make up a combined product for your use. Baby's veterinarian may have a list of alternative veterinarians for you. Please avoid homeopathic remedies which I consider akin to snake oil. Please continue our conversation if you wish and thank you for your kind accept and generosity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Mississippi and there are no veterinary naturopaths around. Do you know of any I could consult with over the internet or phone? Appreciate your opinion on further chemo. FYI - radiation therapy is more than I can afford unfortunately - I don't have a money tree out in back yard!

You noted Baby's cancer as advanced...what makes you state that?

I appreciate continuing conversation...thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 years ago.
I have to think her cancer is advanced when two rounds of chemo haven't prevented it from continuing to aggressively grow and distort the side of her face. I understand your logistical and financial constraints. You've already treated more intensively than the great majority of owner/guardians and for that you should be commended. Here's a link to the veterinary association to which naturopathic vets would belong: The secretary of this association should be able to refer you to a veterinarian that would be pleased to consult with you. You're quite welcome. If you have further questions or concerns let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry I did not make it clear....she has only had one round of Lomustine on 10/10 with next one in 3 weeks (10/31) if I proceed with it. With info I have conveyed, could another round be worth it? I own a health food store, so I really believe in trying more natural versus pharmaceutical. I am just not clear on what is safe for a cat.

Thank you so much for your feedback.... it is very appreciated at this end.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 years ago.
I'd be surprised if Baby's oncologist recommended the next round of lomustine considering the lack of response to the first round. I don't believe a second round is worth it.

I noticed your repost a few minutes ago. I believe you're looking for a second opinion from our experts which is something we encourage. I can opt out of our conversation if you wish which then opens our conversation to other experts.

Related Cat Veterinary Questions