ER Vet
ER Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years taking care of cats in general and emergency practice.

Zithromax Dose for 2 Week Old Kitten

Hello and thank you for taking my question, 
I have a two week old kitten prescribed Zithromax for a URI. I am having trouble calculating the dose and would like help.... 

I have the strength 100mg/ml reconstituted. 

I was told to give 5-10mg/kg. 

The kitten weighs about 177g. 

I apologies but I've been up all night with tired kittens and just cannot do the math at the moment, nor can I reach my vet. If anyone can give me a correct dose that would be appreciated! 

Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help!

The concentration of the Zithromax makes it difficult to dose such as small kitten. The volume to be given would be 0.01 cc which is lieterally less than a drop of antibiotic.

I would give a drop of the liquid and talk to your vet when they are open about a different antibiotic that could be dosed more appropriately.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for answering.

The kitten was on Clavamox for a week with no improvement which is why I was told to switch to something stronger. There were originally two being treated, one of which looked like she kicked it but mysteriously passed away last night which is another reason so wanting to try something stronger...

Do you recommend any other antibiotics I could possibly ask for a script for?

Thanks again!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I reread my message and realize I wrote the strength wrong...

My bottle says 100mg/5ml

That makes it easier yes? Would that be like .1 or .05?
Since you have already tried Clavamox, Zithromax is a good choice. WIth that concentration you would give 0.08cc by mouth. You should be able to measure that with a 1cc syringe.

It is unusual for kittens that young to get bacterial upper respiratory infections. With the one kitten dieing, it makes me worry about the one that is still sick.

Do the best you can and hopefully the zithromax will help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure why, but the mother started sneezing a couple of days after giving birth. She cleared it on her own in a few days but her kittens were left sneezing. I have him in an open crate with a mini heater in the room but don't know what else to do to try and save him? He appears to be getting enough milk (nice round belly) but I just checked on him and one of his eyes have the third eyelids keeping them closed. No colored discharge, it's all clear discharge coming from the nose and eyes. I think I will probably need to talk to my vet again on Monday when they open, but since I just noticed the third eyelids, should I give him some eye drops until then? I have Pentamycin and Tobrex that we've given to young kittens in the past...
You could use the Tobrex. If this is a virus, there may not be anyhting to help this poor kitten. Use the eye drops three times daily.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but was the first dose of Zithromax supposed to be double? And it's once daily correct?
The dose I calculated is the higher end of the dose so I would just give that amount once daily.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I really appreciate being able to start this right away without having to worry about fudging the dose. Here's hoping he can beat this!