Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.
24683783

My cat is still drooling excessively after another antibiotic

My cat is still drooling excessively after another antibiotic shot and now the her tongue has started to turn black.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

That is very alarming that her tongue is turning black. Is she breathing OK? When did she have her antibiotic shot? What antibiotic was it and what was it for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what type of antibiotic shot it was. She had one about 3 weeks ago and the other 4 days ago. The vets don't know what is wrong with her so they tried the antibiotic.
Her tongue started going black after the first shot.
Is she an orange cat? Some orange cats get black pigment into the tongue and gums etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, she is a black persian. she is having trouble eating because of the amount of saliva. She has lost a kilo in the last 3 weeks.
Is her tongue swollen as well? Has her mouth been carefully examined for a foreign body? Sometimes cats will eat needles with thread on them or other strange objects you would't expect them to. Was laboratory work done or xrays? Did she have a fever? I think I would get a second opinion and have her examined and tests done. The other cause for a black tongue may be lack of good blood supply so the tissue is dying and it hurts and that is why she is drooling.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her temperature was normal. She also has trouble swallowing water, but is drinking a lot more than normal She is going tomorrow to the vet and they will put her under anesthetic so that they can look inside her mouth properly. Could it be cancer?
That is very good. Yes, it could be cancer. Let's hope it is a foriegn body that can be removed.