CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat is throwing up a yellow liquid, it is not thick and

My cat is throwing up a yellow liquid, it is not thick and doesn't look like bile. It's the color of urine. Also I have noticed that she is losing clumps of hair which is unusual for her. Any ideas?? She's acting normal and is eating... I've been giving her a new brand of soft food, and I'm hoping that is the answer.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When did the vomiting start?

2) How often is the vomiting?

3) Is there weight loss?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) yesterday.

2) once yesterday, twice today.

3) no.

There are many reasons for vomiting in a cat (LINK HERE)

There certainly are some cats which will vomit once or several times in a row or several times in a short period of time, then stop...resolve whatever issue (food/stomach upset, hairball, etc) they had.

Then there are another subset of cats that will vomit because of an underlying cause (infections, inflammatory, systemic disease, intestinal blockage, etc.)

For now - hopefully this is an upset stomach - to start you can remove food and water for a few hours then offer water and then the food later today.

For hydration you can either use water, or pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes.

Some veterinarians also consider antacids for stomach upset such as Pepcid A/C (
LINK HERE)

BUT - If the vomiting continues, I would recommend seeing your veterinarian for an examination and even some basic bloodwork and x-rays to make sure there is not an underlying cause for this. We should even test the thyroid level to see if the fur change is related.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does the yellow liquid sugest? I don't think it's bile and she's not throwing up hair or food? And what does the hair loss mean??
The yellow is just liquid from the stomach as there is nothing (food) in the stomach to change the color.

The hair loss can be seen with stress, but as listed above can also be a result of thyroid disease (which can explain the vomiting as well).

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist