Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
55012488

my cats tongue has recently turned black and she has a black

Customer Question

my cat's tongue has recently turned black and she has a black discharge coming out of her nose. she is only a year old and her behavior has not changed in anyway. should i be worried or can this wait until monday for the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jenn :

HI there

Dr. Jenn :

I am concerned as a black tongue could be a sign the tissue is dying-not good! THis can lead to infection and could be the reason for the nasal discharge. IThe sooner she is seen the better-as if we aredealing with infection and dying tissue the sooner antibiotics are started the beter before this progresses any further! Not to scare you but some forms of cancer of the mouth can show up in this manner. She's young, so less likely.

Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes a foreign body like a string can allso wrap around the tongue cutting off circulation!!!
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal medicine since 2004 with 15 years in feline rescue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the whole tongue is not black it's more like a stripe, and her behavior has not changed. she is eating drinking and playing as usual. could there be a simpler explanation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 2 years ago.
She could have chewed on an electrical wire-burning that portion of the tongue-which would also require antibiotics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
repeated the same info i found for free on the internet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - In an otherwise normal cat, black pigment may appear in the tongue and lips as a genetically programmed trait. There is no need to postulate chemical or electrical burns if no inflammatory and painful symptoms have been noted. It does not indicate a yeast infection - oral yeast is quite rare in cats. Black discharge from the nose is simply mucus that has become dirty. Once again, this may be a normal discharge in Pimpsy especially if she's not sneezing - which would indicate an upper respiratory infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX adopted her and since she was a rescue I don't know her history. I have an appointment with a vet for a check up next week, so I will stop worrying!
...and I imagine that Pimpsy is going to get a clean bill of health. Good on you for adopting her!
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. My best to Pimpsy!