Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat is bleeding from his nose, and hes sneezing

Hi there,

Thanks for your question! Is the blood pouring out of his nose? Or is it coming out with the sneezing? Are his gums nice and pink still? Does he seem distressed?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
blood is not pouring out gums seem pink just when sneezing, not destressed
Hi again,

Thanks for the extra info. Good to hear he isn't too distressed and that his gum color is fine. There are a few things that could be causing this blood and sneezing. If Tyson is an outdoor boy and chews on grass, then sometimes cat get a grass blade stuck up and over their soft palate at the back of their mouth. This can cause bleeding and irritation leading to sneezing with blood as he has had this morning. If left the grass blade would cause infection and further irritation - so it would need to be removed under an anesthetic if there was one present.

Sometimes cats get a very bad ulcerative rhinitis (inflammation/infection of the nasal passages). This also presents in a similar way to Tysons symptoms and often antibiotics (and sometimes steroids) help settle this down. We also have to consider however, the possibility that he could possibly have a mass or tumor up one or both nostrils. Cats can get a number of tumors of the nasal cavity. Most common in older cats is an adenocarcinoma which is quite nasty.

For these reasons, I really would encourage you to get Tyson seen in the next day or two if you can. Your Vet can carry out a full exam as well as possibly anesthetise him to look behind his soft palate for any foreign bodies (like a grass blade) and hopefully have a look in his nose with a rhinoscope.

In the mean time, if blood keeps coming out or he begins to seem lethargic - get him down to a Vet today.

Best of luck with Tyson and please let me know how you get on.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards