CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat will not stop urinating and deficating all over my house!

My cat will not stop urinating and deficating all over my house! He is 4 years old, we had him to the vet thinking it was a UTI, and gave him medication, but he will not stop. He will then lay in his feces when he is done. Nothing has changed in our home to stress him out. What can I do, I am at my wits end!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) What tests were performed?

2) Are the bowel movements normal?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No tests were performed because they could not get a urine sample. The just gave him medicine as a proactive measure.

His bowels are normal, except there is a lot at a time, almost like he hadn't had a bm in a few days.

Is there weight loss?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No weight loss. Minor vomiting, mostly food. I never see him eat! But he is about 12 pounds, which the vet aid is healthy.

He has always been a strange cat. He is extreamly shy and scared, runs when any one comes near him, and was shaking so bad at his yearly exam, the vet needed to sedate him with anti-anxiety meds. I adopted him as a kitten and has never been abused. He lives with my other adult cat, who has no problems.

The first step here is to rule-out medical causes:

- Parasites
- Cystitis
- Medical / sytemic issues such as thyroid, kidney, or diabetes issues.

If there are no true medical issues - here are some options that you can try at home if not done already:

Clean all inappropriate sites with an enzymatic cleaner. Use a citrus deodorant spray or double-sided tape to discourage the cat from visiting problem areas.

You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house) An example is 2 cats = 3 litterboxes.

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

You can also place the carpet runner you use for desk chairs upside down so the little plastic spikes are facing up - in the area that they urinate - cats do not like to walk on this and will then avoid this area - hoping to use the litterbox.

Aluminum foil is another product they do not like to walk on an can be placed in areas of elimination.

There is also a product, Feliway - which emits a hormone/phermone to reduce stress to help in behavioral situations just like this!

- Removing the covers of litterboxes so they are more open

- I have even had owners that have purchses storage containes, such as

rubbermaid containers, not made for litter but are MUCH larger than cat litterboxes to give them a large area.

- Placing the litterboxes in areas of less traffic in the house to give them more of a private area to urinate (and defecate)

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian